Saturday, August 13, 2011

BAREFoot Footwear: Not a Shoe, a Way of Life!

Earlier this year when I moved out to California, I was introduced to the Vibram FiveFingers (http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/).  They are a glove-like shoe that has individual toe pockets and feels like you are literally walking barefoot.  I did some research and decided to try them for myself, and let me tell you, I LOVE THEM!!!  I switched over to the Vibrams in March this year (2011) and I was eager to begin a strenuous workout regiment.  I learned the hard way!  From day 1 I started running sprints on a grass field and during the first two weeks, I could barely walk when I got out of bed.  I was warned by several people to take it easy when you first get them.  There is an adjustment period that you have to allow your body to adjust to the new kicks.
The barefoot style is different from traditional shoes because it eliminates the heel to toe strikes.  Instead, as you adjust, your strides shorten and you begin to have mid-foot strikes.  And when running/jogging, you run on the balls of your feet.  Many people think that this will cause shin splints, but it actually does not.  Vibram has a very good reference page to learn the mechanics of each style of walking/running.  Check it out to learn more - http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/about_vibram_fivefingers/health_wellness.htm.
Since I have switched over to my FiveFingers, I have noticed a complete transformation in many aspects of my personal physiology.  My balance has improved tremendously and I continue to enhance my stability and neurological response systems that work directly with all my muscles in my feet, ankles, and knees.  My posture has also changed resulting in less stress from my lower back reducing soreness that was present in the past from previous injuries as well as a lack of strength and stability.
I recommend that everyone give Vibram FiveFingers a try!!!  Just remember you legs, ankles, and feet muscles will be sore for the first month as you adjust to the new mechanics.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to drop me a line!!  Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment